Q:I'd like to extend an official welcome from the day shift!
Hahaha…thanks Christina! I’ve only got about a week and a half left on it before I can’t get on until evening again, but in the meantime, it’s nice to have more time!
With thanks to Chris for getting Live stuck in my head last night (I don’t mean that sarcastically…it’s really been too long).
Math is hard. 93% were men and women. The other 7% were????
I thought maybe they quoted some fetuses, but it turns out that the other 7% were “organizations.” They apparently get almost as much say as actual women do.
@TheWeek dropped the ball - if you’re only going to provide a portion of the statistics, at least link to the article. Or, you know, retweet @thedailybeast (if they ever tweeted about it) instead of just referring to them and leaving readers to find the tweet among the 84 tweets that appear on the Beast’s timeline for that day alone.
And the article itself was from May 31, so good luck scrolling down to find it based on a tweet from June 11 with a vague reference to the source. I only found it by following the trail back from this tumblr post about @TheWeek’s tweet to when Newsweek first posted it on tumblr with a semi-hidden link to the article.
Long story short, in the new tradition of American news, @TheWeek made a claim without providing any context. It’s become incumbent on us to do the legwork required to put the pieces together.
Q:Howdy Mr. Vee! What's your favorite regional colloquialism? In SW Ohio, people say "bath'd" instead of bathed. Like if you said "bath" and added a d. Actually, it annoys me. Anyhow, I digress.
My own colloquialisms are from all over the place. Sometimes on here I’ll see things like “down here in [insert state here] we just call all soda Coke.” And then I feel weird because I grew up in California, and for a very long time, I called all soda Coke. I graduated to calling it “soda” after living in Chicago, where everyone called it “pop,” which wasn’t my cup of
Coke tea. I wanted to be different, but didn’t want to be different AND inaccurate.
My dad (the original one) is from Oklahoma. My grandmother on my mother’s side, who did most of the actual raising of me (the part that wasn’t done by TV and friends’ parents), was from Ohio. I watched children’s television produced all over the country (and even some from Canada, like You Can’t Do That on Television). And since I grew up in the L.A. area, some Spanish colloquialisms were a given that I would pick up.
So most of he time I hear a local colloquialism, odds are that I won’t think of it that way…the yumptos (“I’mma eat, yumpto?”), the verklempts, the howdys, the hosers, the wicked pissahs, da Bearsss, the homies, the vatos..they’re all just different parts of our collective language, and I don’t tend to think too much about the origin of those slang terms on a map.
I do have one, though, that I enjoy and can trace to a certain area of the globe…I just have to go overseas to do it. There’s just nothing like a British “bloody hell.” I love the phrase, but I sound like a hoser if I try to use it.
I will also accept “fucking hell” or “bollocks” if no little kids are around.
Q:If you were going fishing for an entire day, what would you pack in your cooler?
A six-pack of Dr. Pepper and a few sandwiches is all I’d need. Of course, outside the cooler, I’d need a comfy chair, my iPod, a pole holder, a port-a-potty, a generator, a TV, a satellite dish, season one of Once Upon a Time on DVD (which I guess means I need a DVD player too), and a butler.
But I could get by with just the six-pack of Dr. Pepper.
Q::( sad. Poor Cory.
You should have seen my reaction once that ending hit me…I was pissed off that it was going to end that way, but it seemed right.
I actually cried while typing out the last few shuffles.
Thanks for reading it!