(Edited, since NBC still hasn’t shown these events…at least in my time zone)
While watching the Olympic trials yesterday, I had a thought.
Most Summer Olympic events (except for the team sports) are based on what have been, at least at some point in human evolution, survival skills.
And then there’s gymnastics.
I haven’t figured out where doing a floor exercise or the uneven parallel bars in a bathing suit fits in to the survival function just yet.
so here’s a handy chart I found of every official summer olympic mascot. the olympics started featuring mascots in 1972, though
- I WAS WRONG ABOUT THERE NOT BEING ANY GOOD MASCOTS. i like Seoul 1988’s geometric tiger and Barcelona 1992’s cool little dog.
- Izzy is far and away the worst, with a close second being Athens 2008’s “deformed twins” and Los Angeles 1984’s “Clip-Art eagle”
- there’s something about Sydney 2000’s mascots that seems really unsettling, but I can’t put my finger on it
- “unevenly-rainbow-colored dachsund” is a shitty mascot. “evenly-rainbow-colored beaver” I might wear on a t-shirt though
- millions of dollars to design these things and nobody knows how to draw a decent-looking bear
incidentally, the first UNofficial mascot was the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics’ “Smoky the Dog”
which like obviously he is the best
ecxuse me but
nothing gets much more ugly than these fuckers
I need a shirt with that rainbow beaver on it because holy shit that’s awesome
I always liked Sam, the eagle from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics (top right). He reminded me of Eagle Sam from America Sings.
Sam the Olympic Eagle was designed by Disney Legend Bob Moore. Eagle Sam was designed by Marc Davis.
And what is it with eagles always being named Sam, anyway?
Hi, I'm Kenny Vee.
I'm a Disney nut, a Whovian, a liberal, and a bit of a dweeb.
Another Kenny Vee blog
Find me at:
Kenny Vee - My personal blog. I can also get quite political
(You are here)
The Disney Files - Watch me wish I still worked at Disneyland
Captain EO Tribute - A tribute to one of the greatest movies ever made
WEDWAY PeopleMover - A tribute to one of the greatest attractions ever built
Adventure Thru Inner Space - A tribute to a journey beyond the limits of normal
Dark Disney - A collection of ghost stories and other dark elements of Disney
The Disney Directory - Comprehensive directory of Disney blogs on tumblr
Cecil Speaks - Transcriptions of every episode of Welcome to Night Vale for those who would like to read along
Jokes Without Punchlines - Ever see a joke reblogged before the punchline is added? You have now.
Kenny's Soapbox - For when I go on news/politics binges
I Get Depressed - You probably don't want to read this one, but if you really want the full story, this is the deep dark part of me. It's the voice that I try to silence but can't.
@KennyVee - Follow me on Twitter