Watching the Closing Ceremony of the Olympics.
Can I just say how much I love that the producers had enough of a sense of humor to poke fun at the ring malfunction in the Opening Ceremony?
This time, however, the ring eventually opened.
While watching the Olympic trials yesterday, I had a thought.
Most Summer Olympic events (except for the team sports) are based on what have been, at least at some point in human evolution, survival skills.
And then there’s gymnastics.
I haven’t figured out where doing a floor exercise or the uneven parallel bars in a bathing suit fits in to the survival function just yet.
so here’s a handy chart I found of every official summer olympic mascot. the olympics started featuring mascots in 1972, though
- I WAS WRONG ABOUT THERE NOT BEING ANY GOOD MASCOTS. i like Seoul 1988’s geometric tiger and Barcelona 1992’s cool little dog.
- Izzy is far and away the worst, with a close second being Athens 2008’s “deformed twins” and Los Angeles 1984’s “Clip-Art eagle”
- there’s something about Sydney 2000’s mascots that seems really unsettling, but I can’t put my finger on it
- “unevenly-rainbow-colored dachsund” is a shitty mascot. “evenly-rainbow-colored beaver” I might wear on a t-shirt though
- millions of dollars to design these things and nobody knows how to draw a decent-looking bear
incidentally, the first UNofficial mascot was the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics’ “Smoky the Dog”
which like obviously he is the best
ecxuse me but
nothing gets much more ugly than these fuckers
I need a shirt with that rainbow beaver on it because holy shit that’s awesome
I always liked Sam, the eagle from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics (top right). He reminded me of Eagle Sam from America Sings.
Sam the Olympic Eagle was designed by Disney Legend Bob Moore. Eagle Sam was designed by Marc Davis.
And what is it with eagles always being named Sam, anyway?
Hi, I'm Kenny Vee.
I'm a Disney nut (most of that ends up on my Disney blog, but some of it may end up here), I'm passionate about the things I believe and often quite vocal about them.
As such, this blog tends to be a bit heavy on politics and opinions.
You will never convince me that guns are good. EVER.
Currently depressed as hell and angry a lot. I've also graduated from "low self esteem" to "advanced self-loathing."