I had a feeling that as word got out that tumblr was altering its terms and conditions, that it wouldn’t be long before tumblr panicked. This is the section that has people up in arms, apparently. I won’t reblog because I don’t want to argue back and forth with the OPs, but they’re claiming that this section is tumblr stealing the copyright of anything you create and upload to tumblr. Here’s a link if you really want to see it.
All I see is that they get the right to use your content as in letting people reblog it, putting it in Tumblr Radar, enabling it to be broadcast over RSS feeds, and those groovy background things that they do on tumblr login screens and “page not found” error pages, where they put an image from a tumblr post in the background.
Contrary to what the post with tens of thousands of notes says, at least as I read it, nothing in this section changes anything about how tumblr has been doing business already. In fact, when you compare the old and new versions side by side, the changes in wording are very minor.
I’ll even save you the trouble: Here is the language of both versions. Language that is being removed has a line through it, new language is bolded. Compare them and you’ll see that there’s not much difference at all.
Ownership:Your Rights in Subscriber Content:
Subscribers retain ownership
of all intellectual propertyand/or other applicable rights in theirSubscriber Content, and Tumblr and/or third parties retain ownership of all intellectual propertyand/or other applicable rights in all Content other than Subscriber Content.
Subscriber Content License to Tumblr:
transferprovide Subscriber Content to Tumblr through the Services, you give Tumblr a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right and license to use, host, store, cache, reproduce, publish, display (publicly or otherwise), perform (publicly or otherwise), distribute, transmit, modify, adapt (including, without limitation, in order to conform it to the requirements of any networks, devices, services, or media through which the Services are available), and create derivative works of (including, without limitation, by Reblogging, as - defined below), such Subscriber Content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operatingallowing Tumblr to operate the Services in accordance with their functionality, improvingimprove the Services, and allowing Tumblr todevelop new Services. The reference in this license to “creat[ing] derivative works” is not intended to give Tumblr itselfa right to make substantive editorial changes or derivations, but does enable, for example, enable “reblogging,” which allows Tumblr Subscribers to redistribute Subscriber Content from one Tumblr blog to another in a manner that allows Subscribers to, e.g.,them to add their own text or other Content before or after your Subscriber Content (“Reblogging”).
That’s it. That’s the whole change that people are flipping out over in the original fear-monger post and its reblogs. (the bits in the gray boxes in the image above are the non-legalese explanations, and as far as I can see they 100% accurately reflect the content of the legalese).
It’s not some new power grab by tumblr. It’s the same damned agreement you’ve been blogging under for years, with slightly updated language which does not change the overall meaning.
There is nothing in there about them "own[ing] any original, uncopyrighted content you post and sell[ing] it for a profit" as the tumblr fear brigade is trying to tell you.
When in doubt, ignore the tumblr posts that are only trying to scare you by actively de-educating you, and compare the old and new versions of the terms yourself. Sections in red are being removed, and sections in green are replacing them. In many cases, there is only a one or two word difference between the two. Tumblr is being very transparent about this change, and to call this a “sneaky little addition” is disingenuous at best.
998 Notes/ Hide
- hierkommtalexx likes this
- 2busydaydreaming likes this
- lohikaarmo reblogged this from liamdryden
- adorkable-and-geeky likes this
- craigmac1989 likes this
- maggybuttoxic reblogged this from liamdryden
- strawberryswingblog reblogged this from kennyvee
- thesockdrawerorgies reblogged this from liamdryden
- guacaholi likes this
- melpopenn likes this
- duicerd reblogged this from agrownupgeekgirl
- greensheik254 likes this
- ikyuu-nyuukon reblogged this from goldenandsilvercastle
- ikyuu-nyuukon likes this
- goldenandsilvercastle reblogged this from mofochika
- brighteternalflame likes this
- torchwood-hub-on-gallifrey likes this
- principiumelementum likes this
- barit0wned likes this
- saint-aelphaba reblogged this from lilyandjamesaredead
- mynameisriversong reblogged this from sailorblaze
- kia8088 reblogged this from kennyvee
- schwertlilie likes this
- petrichordelights reblogged this from fantastic-nonsense
- marimo-honey reblogged this from daenseu
- withswordinhand likes this
- drallonsy likes this
- fuckmemrdarcy reblogged this from magneticpie
- heulwen-a-merlod reblogged this from liamdryden
- indigo-river likes this
- wordtoyourmother likes this
- awesomenessninjaunicorns likes this
- moramcwaters reblogged this from alphaunderdog
- bookfairyfox likes this
- dynamojacks likes this
- fantastic-nonsense reblogged this from reactionaryhater
- srfarley likes this
- reactionaryhater reblogged this from sosungjackskellington and added:
- thatsmesam reblogged this from kennyvee
- thatsmesam likes this
- unknowntrombone likes this
- sosungjackskellington reblogged this from nudityandnecromancy
- nay-tastic likes this
- hungry-and-nocturnal reblogged this from shaybearx3
- perditionsqueen likes this
- rangerose reblogged this from brellaween
- thequeenwolfbabe reblogged this from bringingmetoneverland and added:
- free-fallinx reblogged this from fantastic-though-not-plastic
- fantastic-though-not-plastic reblogged this from kennyvee