Understanding a Shame-Based Personality
There is a difference between blaming and shaming a person. Blaming is being told you did something wrong. Shaming is being told that there’s something wrong with you, and you’re worthless, bad, inferior or inadequate. Examples of shaming statements include:
· “You were a mistake; I wish I’d never had you”
· “You’re useless; you’ll never amount to anything.”
· “You could never do what he/she does”
· “You’ve ruined my life; you ruin everything for everyone”
Adults shamed in childhood have the following traits:
1. They are afraid to share their true thoughts and feelings with others.
2. They are terrified of intimacy and put up walls in relationships. They also fear commitment as they expect to be rejected.
3. They are often extremely shy, easily embarrassed, and are terrified of being shamed or humiliated. They tend to suffer from debilitating false guilt.
4. They struggle with feelings of worthlessness and believe they are inferior to others. They believe that is something they can never change as worthlessness is at the core of who they are.
5. They often feel ugly and flawed, even when they’re beautiful – and everyone tells them that.
6. They may be narcissistic and act as if they have it all together; alternatively, they may be completely selfless, almost to the point of being a doormat.
7. They are often very defensive and find it hard to bear the slightest criticism. They feel as if they are being constantly watched and judged.
8. They have a pervasive sense of loneliness and always feel like outsiders (even when others genuinely like and love them).
9. They feel controlled – as if they always have to do what others want and say – and this blocks spontaneity.
10. They are perfectionists and usually suffer from performance anxiety. This may also cause them to be procrastinators.
11. They tend to block their feelings through compulsive behaviors like eating disorders, retail therapy or substance-abuse.
12. They find it hard to establish and enforce healthy boundaries with others.
This hurt a little to read through. It hits really close to home.
16348 Notes/ Hide
- trashochist reblogged this from bebopit
- bebopit reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege
- supermarslock likes this
- supermarslock reblogged this from abbiegoth
- cwtcher likes this
- blackdredmama likes this
- hoodiemanning likes this
- vampire-rachel-duncan likes this
- vampire-rachel-duncan reblogged this from doyouwanttobesaved
- poetrymafia likes this
- doyouwanttobesaved reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege
- riot-gears likes this
- iwannasmashthem-all reblogged this from themercifulmeow
- themercifulmeow reblogged this from asuka-sorynotsoryu
- avagueandruthlessdesire reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege
- avagueandruthlessdesire likes this
- dustyhalo reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege
- cynthiaisagirlsname likes this
- jeannakirschtein reblogged this from jeannakirschtein
- disemboweledenderfox reblogged this from transwomenssurvivornetwork
- disemboweledenderfox likes this
- badtz likes this
- benevolentbitches reblogged this from kazuyagoddamnmishima
- benevolentbitches likes this
- blitzfox likes this
- anxyeti reblogged this from mudkhep
- thelazyidiot reblogged this from kattheghosthunter
- omniawesome likes this
- ibjyngs likes this
- yuriskeleton likes this
- sickkasproblems reblogged this from mudkhep
- vantasm likes this
- dorkasslameo reblogged this from spaloonbabooguuscooties
- man-with-the-key reblogged this from wavemaker9
- wavemaker9 reblogged this from mudkhep
- missmagicalstar likes this
- slowpokestail likes this
- kattheghosthunter reblogged this from themischiefoftad
- mjerk likes this
- xren80 reblogged this from msboonnannaskittle
- any204 reblogged this from bloodorangu
- usedtodohugs likes this
- the-fisher-queen likes this
- msboonnannaskittle reblogged this from spaloonbabooguuscooties
- spaloonbabooguuscooties reblogged this from bloodorangu
- themischiefoftad reblogged this from lightfire24
- themischiefoftad likes this
- bahjork likes this