Understanding a Shame-Based Personality
There is a difference between blaming and shaming a person. Blaming is being told you did something wrong. Shaming is being told that there’s something wrong with you, and you’re worthless, bad, inferior or inadequate. Examples of shaming statements include:
· “You were a mistake; I wish I’d never had you”
· “You’re useless; you’ll never amount to anything.”
· “You could never do what he/she does”
· “You’ve ruined my life; you ruin everything for everyone”
Adults shamed in childhood have the following traits:
1. They are afraid to share their true thoughts and feelings with others.
2. They are terrified of intimacy and put up walls in relationships. They also fear commitment as they expect to be rejected.
3. They are often extremely shy, easily embarrassed, and are terrified of being shamed or humiliated. They tend to suffer from debilitating false guilt.
4. They struggle with feelings of worthlessness and believe they are inferior to others. They believe that is something they can never change as worthlessness is at the core of who they are.
5. They often feel ugly and flawed, even when they’re beautiful – and everyone tells them that.
6. They may be narcissistic and act as if they have it all together; alternatively, they may be completely selfless, almost to the point of being a doormat.
7. They are often very defensive and find it hard to bear the slightest criticism. They feel as if they are being constantly watched and judged.
8. They have a pervasive sense of loneliness and always feel like outsiders (even when others genuinely like and love them).
9. They feel controlled – as if they always have to do what others want and say – and this blocks spontaneity.
10. They are perfectionists and usually suffer from performance anxiety. This may also cause them to be procrastinators.
11. They tend to block their feelings through compulsive behaviors like eating disorders, retail therapy or substance-abuse.
12. They find it hard to establish and enforce healthy boundaries with others.
This hurt a little to read through. It hits really close to home.
13358 Notes/ Hide
- muffled likes this
- there-is-no-box likes this
- thatmuchlove likes this
- inkbatts reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege
- lavagatrabajadoble likes this
- kougyoku likes this
- meginatree reblogged this from thewaroffivequeens
- hoy2 reblogged this from spiderish
- shitseasypeasy likes this
- akiresezu likes this
- warrioromen reblogged this from icy-mischief
- iky8urkids reblogged this from jimmy-carrs-laugh
- idealshadeofblack likes this
- echoesofthetruth reblogged this from pliosaurs and added:
- echoesofthetruth likes this
- dean-winchesters-my-unicorn reblogged this from pliosaurs
- pliosaurs reblogged this from looneyngilo2
- theseventhbell likes this
- definitelynoteffy likes this
- aliasl likes this
- yellowoftheviridianforest reblogged this from cloudpacas
- cloudpacas reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege
- resist-theurge reblogged this from psych-facts
- sakurasnowflake reblogged this from hajinmon
- deerpeople likes this
- muslimdiaspora likes this
- vanskelig likes this
- nicoliepolieolie likes this
- elementalhero likes this
- perivates reblogged this from freedominwickedness
- perivates likes this
- obrigado-saudade likes this
- mellexillia reblogged this from bossanovabyss
- anglemeister likes this
- nighttimesshare likes this
- theretardedlyawesome likes this
- somegiantmess likes this
- janyu likes this
- shandathe likes this
- acclimatingabsurdity reblogged this from bossanovabyss
- acclimatingabsurdity likes this
- bossanovabyss reblogged this from kagesora and added:
- kagesora reblogged this from assbele
- vuttie likes this
- anotherhelpinghand likes this
- jimmy-carrs-laugh reblogged this from onlinecounsellingcollege and added:
- canwepretendyoucare likes this
- prisillysaurus reblogged this from chauvinistsushi
- prisillysaurus likes this